Thursday, October 18, 2012

Train Etiquette

I always wonder what is considered inappropriate for me to do on a train. I don't want to be that annoying person with their music too loud, virtually shouting into their phone or loudly chewing an extremely crunchy breakfast food. There are so many things that have people's noses up these days... eyebrows raise, eyes going to and from the scene of the crime, judgement levels increasing by the second. Tough crowd. Anyway, so the other day I was in a bit of a rush (nothing out of the ordinary I must admit) and I had decided the night before that I wanted to paint my nails - they were pretty grotty, chipped, uneven in length and just not looking too fabulous. Back to the point. So I slept through my alarm (classic) and then slept through my second alarm.. and on the third I finally arose from my bed to find I was in quite a serious rush - train coming in 11 minutes, 7 minute walk to the station... eeeek. I threw my things in my bag, scrapped on some makeup, ran to the fridge to grab an Up & Go (flavour? chocolate, duh) and I was out the door. Did I mention I also grabbed my nail polish bottle from the kitchen bench? Well I did. By the time I was on the train, fully intending to paint my nails - I stopped and realised, am I THAT person? It was a crowded train, North Shore peak hour into the city, my carriage filled with stitched up looking business people... people I stereotype to be the people that easily judge. It's quiet, nobody's chewing, nobody's talking, just the periodic turning of a newspaper. Peace and quiet on a peak hour train. Unheard of, right? Usually there's at least one naive sod going against the grain and participating in some sort of disruptive activity. I was about to become that person. I scanned the carriage again and saw two women sitting next to each other staring at me straight in the eyeball. Sprung. The nail polish went back into my bag, and the suit next to me finally stopped his staring. I'm a chicken. I wasn't game. My nails look horrid. And really - we need a rule book.

No comments:

Post a Comment